The 19th-century back-to-back labourer’s houses and the narrow streets characterise this neighbourhood.
The labourer’s houses in the Zeven Steegjes were built in the 19th century for the workers of the surrounding factories and big Roman-Catholic families.
The labourer’s houses in the Zeven Steegjes were built behind brewery De Boog by the Oudegracht in 1843 and 1860 on the orders of the Roman-Catholic alms hall. A cigar factory and a sugar factory were also nearby. The houses were intended for the workers of the factories, but were also used to house large families that were dependent upon charity. The church kept a close eye on them. The houses were restored in the ’90s, but the cosy character has been preserved.